Happy Monday, people of Miami! Let’s get this day started. Here’s everything you need to know about what’s happening today in town.
First, today’s weather:
Breezy in the a.m.; sunshine. High: 78 Low: 73.
Are you a local business owner or marketer? We can help you effortlessly run effective ads that reach customers in Miami. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Miami today:
1. City of Miami Fire Rescue responded to a two-story home in Miami’s Little Havana neighborhood early Sunday morning. When crews arrived at the scene on 8th Avenue and 2nd Street at around 2 a.m., they found a two-story wooden structure fully engulfed in flames, according to Lieutenant Pete Sanchez with Miami Fire Rescue. (NBC Miami)
2. Three people were arrested in South Florida after, police said, they pickpocketed phones at the Tortuga Music Festival in Fort Lauderdale. Twenty-three-year-old Wilson Andres Garson Ruzzi, 28-year-old Piter Nieto Valenzuela and 28-year-old Yesica Castellano are accused of cellphone theft after they were apprehended at the event, Saturday night. (WSVN)
3. A woman is facing charges after police said she brought a gun to Key West International Airport. Monroe County Sheriff’s Office deputies say 59-year-old Kathleen Marie Kennedy was arrested Friday afternoon after she brought a handgun into the security checkpoint area of the airport. (CBS Miami)
4. Opa-locka Interim Chief Michael Steel released a statement on Sunday announcing the arrest of 50-year-old Russell Tate who his officers considered a suspect in a shooting. A gunman shot a man in the chest at about 8:50 a.m., on Saturday, outside of a two-bedroom home at 3141 NW 134 St., according to Steel’s statement. (WPLG Local 10)
5. Miami Mayor Francis X. Suarez said this past weekend that cryptocurrencies continue to present big opportunities for the city and that the local tourism industry, and the real estate market have felt the impact. (WSVN)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. We all know that Ring is the leader in video doorbells for home security. But did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that is getting raves from consumer electronic experts?
Today in Miami:
- Chris Tomlin & Hillsong United at FTX Arena. (7:00 PM)
- Kundalini Yoga at Modern ŌM Bungalow. (7:00 PM)
- Miami Bitcoin Meetup by IABA And Crypto Media Hub. (7:00 PM)
- Shirley’s Jazz Jam at Gramps. (8:00 PM)
- TRIO Takeover Miami Edition at Pilo’s Tequila Garden. (9:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- A surgeon at Miami Transplant Institute launched this biotech venture, which grows and harvests organs from genetically modified pigs for kidney transplants. (Subscription: South Florida Business Journal)
- 9 people were left homeless after a fire destroyed home in Hollywood. (WPLG Local 10)
- The City of Miami Beach is collecting donations for the people of the Ukraine who have been under siege and forced to flee their homes in what has been described as the largest humanitarian crisis since World War II. (Twitter)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (April 13)
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (April 14)
- Taxes in Retirement Webinar on 4/18 & 4/20 (April 18)
- Medicare – Turning 65…What Now? (April 19)
- Add your event
Loving the Miami Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you soon!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.